LOGISTICS KNOW-HOW SINCE 1948
In addition to our headquarters in Heilbronn, SCHMIDT opened their first subsidiary for the storage of bulk goods in Cologne-Niehl in 1982. Thus, transformation from a mere transport company to a bulk material specialist was completed. The next significant milestone was the construction of the first logistics facility on the premises of a customer in Hürth-Knapsack in 1990.
BENEFIT FROM OUR EXPERTISE
The SCHMIDT Group now is globally active at 49 locations with about 2000 employees. More than 1300 silos for bulk storage and about 170,000 m2 warehouse space for packaged goods are available. Nearly 1300 vehicles as well as almost 6500 containers round off our service Portfolio. Construction of a 5-story office building at Heilbronn headquarters starts.
Since the beginning of the year, SCHMIDT is AEO certified. For owners of this certificate, certain customs processes are considerably facilitated. As a globally active company, SCHMIDT is now in a position to process business in other member states more speedily.
In mid 2017, the actual main location of SCHMIDT Middle East is relocated from Dubai to Abu Dhabi (Kizad Industrial Zone). At the new location, SCHMIDT ME has built and operates its second large multi-customer terminal in the Middle East.
Commissioning of the new SCHMIDT location inside the „KIZAD“ Khalifa Industrial Zone Abu Dhabi.
On behalf of ADT, SCHMIDT Middle East successfully completed planning and construction supervision for a filling/bagging facility for plastics granulates.
For customer SIBUR, SCHMIDT builds a large logistics HUB inside the Vorsino Freight Village in the Kaluga region.
As a new hub of intermodal transport and thus an important link to the North Sea and North Italian ports, the KombiTerminal Burghausen was put into operation.
A new production facility (ZapSibNeftekhim) with SIBUR for polyolefins in Tobolsk, Russia, is being built. Within 3 years, a silo battery with 45 silos á 1,000 m³, 8 packaging lines, a covered storage complex of 50,000 m² and a container terminal with 2,600 TEU capacity will be built.
The logistics platform Kstovo (near Nizhny Novgorod) in Russia, planned and realized by SCHMIDT, was officially commissioned.
Since the beginning of the year, SCHMIDT owns a 50 % partnership in “mst Mineral-, Speditions- und Transport-GmbH” in Kerpen. The remaining 50 % are held by Quarzwerke GmbH, Frechen.
“Best solutions in bulk logistics” becomes SCHMIDT’s mission statement.
SCHMIDT and Imperial establish a joint-venture company. Under the name of “European Bulk Hub Duisburg”, at the facility at Duisburg harbour handling, warehousing and transport of dry bulk goods are jointly carried out.
In the meantime, SCHMIDT is represented world-wide with more than 1400 employees at a total of 32 locations. Storage capacities have increased to 1162 silos with a total capacity of 438,231 m³. 103,520 m² of warehouse floorspace are available. More than 800 vehicles and 5000 containers are part of the corporate equipment.
SCHMIDT builds a state-of-the-art cleaning station in Biala/Plock.
SCHMIDT takes over the operation of the logistics facilities of their customers Ticona and Basell in Frankfurt/Main as well as for customer Basell in Ferrara/Italy.
In Nishni Nowgorod, SCHMIDT starts construction of a logistics facility for their customer RusVinyl.
The service portfolio for transports in the food sector (sugar, corn, rice) is expanded.
In November 2009 a SCHMIDT representation office opens in Abu Dhabi (UAE).
In Shanghai, the customer Agility starts logistics facilities after completion of a 2-year construction period. SCHMIDT was responsible for planning, construction and staff training at the start of operations and deployed a team of German experts on site in China.
The premises of the Lillebonne/France subsidiary including silo facilities, warehouses and office buildings are being sold to Delisle.
Nevertheless, SCHMIDT continues to run the operation and all forwarding activities in France from this location.
In Russia, China and Singapore SCHMIDT is starting consulting projects and Heilbronn headquarters are also certified for animal feed in accordance with GMP+ standards.
In Great Britain, a second subsidiary is opened in St. Helens.
SCHMIDT makes a consulting team available to train agency staff in Poland.
Simultaneously, complete operations of the new container facilities in Plock/Poland are taken on on behalf of their customer BOP (Basell-Orlen-Polyolefins) including intermediate storage, bagging and organization of block trains commuting weekly between Plock and Großlehna.
The currently largest outsourcing project was introduced in Wesseling near Cologne which included the planning, construction, operation and distribution for a production plant with a capacitiy of 500,000 tons p.a.
SCHMIDT is setting up MKL (Mitteldeutsche Kunststofflogistik) in Schkopau, Germany, as a joint-venture company with Finsterwalder Transport & Logistik, and takes over warehousing and logistics services for the local DOW polyolefine production line. Moreover, a new SCHMIDT subsidiary opens in Raszyn/Poland, near Warsaw.
The SCHMIDT Group was one of the first bulk specialist forwarding companies to attain ISO 9002 accreditation through BVQI.
The SCHMIDT Group employs over 750 people and operates a fleet of more than 800 road tankers and 1000 bulk containers.
More than 700 silos with over 240,000 m³ capacity and conventional warehouse capacity exceeding 100,000 m² are available for storage in 12 locations in Germany and throughout Europe. The SCHMIDT Group operates a network of 20 subsidiaries in 8 European countries.
The SCHMIDT fleet increased to 500 road tankers.
15 subsidiaries in Germany and Europe were set up so far.
Completion of the first large outsourcing project in Huerth-Knapsack. The project realized the construction of a silo storage plant including on-site bagging and palletizing facilities.
Construction of a new Administration building for the headquarters at Roetelstrasse, Heilbronn, complete with repair, maintenance and cleaning facilities.
Introduction of 40‘ silo containers.
Set-up of the first subsidiary outside of Germany in Wommelgem near Antwerp, Belgium.
Establishment of the first silo storage facility in Cologne-Niehl.
After the death of his father, Mr. Horst Schmidt took over the company management.
Set-up of the first national subsidiary in Langweid-Foret near Augsburg in Southern Germany.
Development of the first bulk transportation vehicles.
Realization of experiments by the owner to transport Soda in bulk tank vehicles instead of jute sacks.
Foundation of KARL SCHMIDT SPEDITION in Heilbronn by Karl Schmidt. Commencement of transports with a wood carburator truck utilizing a tilt trailer both of the former German army.